Monday, May 27, 2013

Don't You Understand?

Question #2:

Don't you understand what you are doing to your body?

To a point. Though sometimes I don't think I really cared. I just wanted to be accepted and loved by someone. I was sailing through life. I had no health complications. Sure, I couldn't walk very far or run, but aside from that, I had no problems. I had regular blood pressure (quite good, actually - surprisingly enough). No diabetes. No heart issues. Regular cholesterol. A minor thyroid issue, but nothing major. I thought things were not affecting me. Until one day. This is the start of the downward spiral that I was in. I didn't have any health issues...on the surface. But deep down, I had an infection that I did not know about. It caused extreme cellulitis on my left leg. Not just the front, but the back. I ended up in the hospital for 13 days, and home from work for another 6 weeks after I was discharged. During that stay, I had to have IV antibiotics twice a day and fluids consistently. That was the longest 2 months of my life.  Then, not four weeks after I was back at work, I had another outbreak of the infection - this time, on my right arm. This also required surgery and IV antibiotics. When they discharged me, I had to have a central line put in my neck so that I could administer the IV antibiotics myself. I had to wear that thing with pride. Ugh it was painful. I couldn't turn my neck. Do you think I learned my lesson? Nope. Remember when I told you that last fall (after losing 40 pounds) I got sick and fell off the wagon...or rather, abandoned ship? I was in the hospital yet again. This time, the infection was in my right leg. Thankfully, this one did not require surgery, but I was in the hospital and did have to have IV antibiotics.  Thankfully, since October/November, I have not had another incident with this infection. I'm hoping that with working hard and trying to get my health in order, that I can avoid anymore run-ins with cellulitis. It really is not pleasant.

I truly don't think that through it all I realized what I was doing to my body. I mean, I knew I was overweight. I knew I was morbidly obese. I knew all that. But what I didn't know or care about was the ramifications of what I was doing to my body. I'm going to be courageous here. Next week, I hit my 2 months of focusing on what I eat, and working out (every day except one rest day). At that "anniversary" I have to take measurements. I hated it the first time. In fact, I cried. But, it's like I told the trainer (a/k/a Danny), "It can only get better from here." So, here we go...I will post new stats next week after the weigh-in/measurement.

This picture was taken April 15, 2013 (two weeks after I started going to the gym seriously ... mainly because I wouldn't agree to the picture. Then, when I signed on with Danny, he was required to take the photo....so, I reluctantly agreed.) At this point, I had already lost 15 pounds.

April 15, 2013: 422.6 lbs

Measurements were taken on May 2, 2013 and will be retaken next week, on June 3, 2013. I will post the new ones in comparison to the old ones that night after my gym workout.

Neck: 16"
Chest: 52.5"
Waist: 56"
Hips: 75"
Left Thigh: 39.5"
Right Thigh: 36.5"
Left Calf: 26"
Right Calf: 28.5"
Left Bicep: 21.5"
Right Bicep: 20.5"
Shoulders: 56.5"

Bringing on the challenge! I can't wait for the final reveal! Thank you to ALL who support me and send me encouraging messages on Facebook, texting, etc. You don't know how much it is appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been awhile....a good long while

It has been a good long while since I have felt anything but self-hate and negativity toward myself. I tried not to show it on the outside, ...