Saturday, October 5, 2013

Gastric Bypass Surgery...yay or nay?

As most of you probably know by now, I'm in the hospital with yet another bout of cellulitis. Yes, another one. This one came on faster than the last. Kinda scary, really, how fast it happened. I've been here since Monday evening. I've been on IV antibiotics since then. Twice a day. I digress. Yesterday was a struggle for me. A real, honest struggle. In fact, I spent most of my afternoon upset and in tears. Why? Two of the doctors that I see when I'm here both re-suggested that I have the gastric bypass surgery. I was devastated. Why? Please, do not hear me wrong when I say this. When I was not cleared for the gastric bypass surgery last year and I made the decision this year to progress with losing the weight, I promised myself that I would do this the hard way - one pound at a time. Without surgical means, except for skin removal surgery. I was seriously crushed. In that moment, those doctors made me feel as though all the hard work I had done was for nothing...that there was no way I could lose all the rest of the weight I needed to lose. In fact, one of them even said as much. I cried about it. I texted my friend/trainer and also my accountability partner. I called my mom. I cried to my sister.  

I am not naive enough to think I am all the way there mentally and emotionally. I know I'm not there physically. But that really hurt my pride on how far I had come. After I thought about it for a long time, I came to the conclusion that I have to do what is right for me. Bottom line. For me, I don't believe gastric bypass is the best option. I am often one that needs to learn the hard way.  I ate every single extra pound I have on my body over the last 29 years. If I don't have to struggle to take it off, then I'm scared I won't have learned anything and I will go back to my old habits. I mean, let's be honest, there are times I've indulged for a couple days or a week while on this journey. What's to say that won't happen again? What's to say I won't fall back into that security of food? Yes, I have learned many things while on his journey. But this journey for me is just starting. I've only uncovered the surface. 

For me, I felt as though the gastric bypass would "cheapen" all the hard work I have done so far. Don't get me wrong...those who have the surgery don't have it easy. They can only eat 2-3 bites at a time. They can only drink water. They can't eat sugar...ever. I don't want to be limited. 

All in all, what's your opinion? Is gastric bypass the way to go when you still have a lot of weight to lose? Or is it nose to the ground hard work of counting calories and maintenance of a healthy lifestyle (which does include eating things not on your meal plan once in awhile)?

To be fair, all the doctors were impressed with the amount of weight loss and the length of time in which I had done it. But the only remarks resounding in my head all afternoon were, "it just wasn't good enough." They didn't suggest the surgery because they didn't think eventually I couldn't reach my goal...it was more for a way to try and limit these cellulitis outbreaks. I'm not sure how gastric bypass would help me lose more weight any quicker than I've already lost, but that's what they recommended. 

Your turn. Talk to me. 

6 comments:

  1. My heart sank when I thought you were considering the surgery. I believe you should stick with the plan you are on. As you said, it took 29 years to put it on. At the rate you are going, it will take less than 2 to take it off and the long range health effects are what matter. Remember, doctors make lots of money doing surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fighter. Bad things happen when we take the easy way out. I think you should keep fighting the good fight. And keep all your hard work YOURS. When you get to your goal weight/size, you get to say that you did it all by yourself. You are strong. You can and WILL do it. I'm here for you, and so very proud of you. Besides, the docs would suggest a surgery, wouldn't they? It puts more money in someone's pocket. Don't listen to them. Listen to what God tells you to do, bottom line. I love you.

    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to do what makes you happiest. I would not suggest gastric bypass however, I have been very happy with my vertical sleeve gastrectomy. It is a much safer proceedure andis getting as good a results as bypass. I can cheat if I want on occasion without "dumping symdrome". Only a few foods bother me such as yeasty breads, soda and fried foods, which are all bad for you anyways. I can still eat sweets. Yes, I get full after about 4-6 ounces but that just means I take a doggie bag home from the restaurat and I eat it later for dinner. The weight loss has been very fast, much faster than I ever lost when working out and dieting. You are doing an incredible job on your own. As long as you continue to do well with it, then do it, however if the weight loss stops or you start to regress, consider the "sleeve".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have worked so hard and done so well, so I say do what YOU want to do, not what anyone else tells you. We will all stand by your decision and continue to cheer you on!
    Love you,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, as a nurse, I believe there are many times that the after effects of having the gastric bypass are extremely negative. We need good nutrition and nutrients are not always well absorbed. And there can be problems with diarrhea. In fact, I have had conversations with an awesome chunky nurse (and beautiful and gregarious) and she has DETERMINED to NEVER have gastric bypass. And she is one of the smartest people I know. Another person (the sister of one of my best friends) is on a feeding tube from complications resulting from gastric bypass. So I believe you are wise in your determined. Keep up the good work. Gina Lowe, Melody Cynar and Autumn Spencer and Debbie Lowe s mom. You know I am an RN who works inthe hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before you decide anything, study ALL the consequences of ALL the options. I've seen some ugly things come upon friends and family as a result of gastric bypass surgery. I've also seen a little good, but I believe the bad outweighs the good. If it is a means to help overcome cellulitis, then maybe consider it for your health. However, if there's another way to overcome that illness, even if it takes longer to get there and might be harder, I'd opt for that options. Do what is best for your health.

    ReplyDelete

It's been awhile....a good long while

It has been a good long while since I have felt anything but self-hate and negativity toward myself. I tried not to show it on the outside, ...