Saturday, June 1, 2013

Say What?!? You want me to do what?!?

How far is forever? I'm just kidding. That's not what this post is about. This morning I had a training session at 7:00 a.m. On a Saturday. Yep. 7:00 a.m. That's early. But, I was there. I was prepared to do it. And then, I got the "we're going outside." Huh? I like the air conditioned gym. I can still break a good sweat in there ... even at a frigid 67 degrees!

So we go outside. And we stand in the parking lot. And then he says, "you're running suicides..."Say what?!? I seriously haven't done a suicide run since like elementary PE. Why would I? That is cruel and unusual punishment. And, I should've seen this coming, but of course, it was THREE sets! Everything is THREE! Or four, if you're lucky.

So we finish the suicide runs, and I'm pretty sure the three of us that did them were ready to fall on the pavement and gasp for air. But no, now we're back in the air conditioned gym. Where I wanted to be, right? And, we're heading to free weights...yay! My favorite. And then he says to grab the weights and head to the treadmill. Elation downgraded to disappointment.

It only got better (and by better, I mean worse). The next words were "jogging intervals." Lovely. Walk, I'm good with. Elliptical, I'm okay with it. We're working on our relationship. But jogging? We're just not that serious about each other yet. So he presets our treadmills at a speed and incline and says we're jogging for a full minute. Okay. I can do this. I can do anything for a minute, right? First minute down. Now, let's get off the treadmill (carefully, because we have to leave them running so we can jump back on when we're done with the interval phase). The interval phase is to put a weight on the floor, stand with feet about shoulder width apart, and yank that sucker up over your head and back down to the floor. Ten reps. Breathe for a minute then back on the treadmill for another minute interval.  (What I didn't tell you is that they left me the heaviest weight - the 30 pound dumbbell! AND that each interval meant incline got higher and higher.)

When it was all said and done, I felt like I accomplished a killer workout. BUT...I was ready to lose the breakfast I hadn't eaten. Then Danny says, "Let's plan an elite workout...you know with sledgehammers, monster truck tires, sleds..." And of course, that's going to be outside, too. I'll be honest - it sounds fun but scary! If that happens, I can guarantee you there will be a LONG post about that...once I've recovered.

Then, because my car isn't working today, I had to walk home. In the sun. Yuck. But, I did it. It's done. And next time Danny says, "jogging intervals" I will try to not inwardly complain so much. I just have to remember that I'm there to do a job, and that he knows how to get that job done. I may not like it, but I don't like being fat and unhealthy either.

After this wonderfully fun training session and my jaunt home, I had to get ready for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful and the reception (for the first time in, well, ever) was fun! I was able to interact on the dance floor and do the line dances. Fun times. I'm exhausted now, so I'm signing out, but I am sure there will be more fun at the gym tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, even I don't run. I stopped running in junior high (middle school for you youngins), when I developed and it hurt my boobies no matter what kind of bra I wore. If I run my boobs will stretch to my knees in no time. Nope. Why run when you can ride a bike? Danny would hate me.

    ReplyDelete

It's been awhile....a good long while

It has been a good long while since I have felt anything but self-hate and negativity toward myself. I tried not to show it on the outside, ...