Sunday, June 2, 2013

I Am Not Focusing On Results

You are probably wondering what in the world I am talking about. Not going to focus on results? What? Isn't that what someone on a life journey is supposed to do? 


"If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results." - Jack Dixon

As I am thumbing through some pages of motivational quotes tonight, I stumbled across this one. It spoke to me. How true this statement is. When I first decided to embark on this journey, I knew the end result was that I wanted to lose close to 275 pounds. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. I'm not quite sure yet. I came to realize that before I started this particular journey, I focused on the results and not the changes required to make those results. This made it too easy to quit. What do I mean? Well, think about it. If you had 275 pounds to lose, and that's what you focused on, it would be very hard for you to stay motivated. How true that was for me. This time around I had to change my focus and start making small changes. No more sodas. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day. No fast food. Exercising for 30 minutes a day. Establishing a support system. Finding an accountability partner that I could be gut-wrenching honest with and call in a pinch if I felt myself slipping or tempted. All of those by themselves are smaller tasks. But put them together and they are a recipe for success.

Please know that I struggle with this daily. It is hard for me to understand why the scale didn't move when I was spot-on on the diet and I busted my behind at the gym for 2 hours. I can't focus on that. If I do, I will quit. I have to focus on the differences I can see and feel in my life. It's a daily struggle with me to stay on track. It's very easy to fall back into the mindset of "it's just a bite, it won't hurt me." One bite leads to another, which leads to another, and soon, I'm back in the vicious cycle and undoing all of the hard work I have done.

Measurements are tomorrow. I'm so excited yet nervous at the same time. I don't know why I'm nervous. I guess because I don't really know what to expect.  I don't know what an average loss of inches should be. I guess it varies by person. I also have to have a new picture taken. I'm kind of excited to see the difference. I'm going to wear the same outfit I wore for the first picture so I can really see the difference. I will post tomorrow night so stay tuned!

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter what the scale says. It doesn't matter what the measuring tape says. It matters that I have had a mental change and that I am now willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.

If you're on a journey to a healthier lifestyle, please let me know! Email me at ashlwar84@iCloud.com. I will do what I can to encourage you on your journey to a healthy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been awhile....a good long while

It has been a good long while since I have felt anything but self-hate and negativity toward myself. I tried not to show it on the outside, ...