Saturday, July 13, 2013

This is NOT a diet...it's a LIFESTYLE!

I am not on a diet. I am not participating in a fad. This is not short term. This is a lifestyle. What does that mean for me? Does that mean that I will never enjoy food again? Does that mean that I cannot go out with my friends/family? Does that mean that I will be bored with my food for the rest of my life? NO. 

It means that for the time being, I have to be very selective about what I do and where I go. I can enjoy my food. It just means that I have to look at my food differently. I need to not look at my food as a crutch or a celebratory measure - but rather as fuel for my body. What I put in causes me to have the energy to do what I need to do on this weight loss journey. 

Nutrition is a very key factor in any weight loss/maintenance plan. If I go to the gym every day for 2 hours but then gorge myself on fast food and sodas, I have not done myself any favors. But...if I go to the gym every day for 2 hours and eat a healthy, balanced diet - I have given my body the fuel it needs to excel and push longer and harder. 

What does a typical day look like for me? Around 1200 calories. Every day it is pretty much the same thing, maybe with slight variations:

Breakfast: 1 scoop of Iso 30 protein powder with 6 ounces of cold water and 2 slices of Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel bread with I can't believe it's not butter spray

Morning snack: grilled/baked chicken; a complex carb I some type - I like the Minute Rice brown rice cups and some veggies. 

Lunch: 1 scoop of Iso 30 protein powder with 6 ounces of cold water and 22-28 dry roasted almonds

Afternoon snack: grilled/baked chicken with salad (no cheese, no dressing) or veggies. 

Supper: grilled/baked chicken with veggies or turkey burger or veggie burger

It's so funny to me that I was the girl who would never eat leftovers or would give away the doggy bag from restaurants. Yet for the major part of this journey I have had pretty much the same stuff. It just works. 

Likewise, it is important to have a gym routine. And that routine needs to vary somewhat. I learned that the two weeks I couldn't do much cardio! Holy cow my arms/shoulders/back hurt! But the point of it for me wasn't necessarily to work those muscles to points of exhaustion, but rather, to stay in the habit of going to the gym daily. Workout even when I didn't feel like it. The awesome soreness was just an added bonus. I proved to myself that just because I was down, it didn't mean I was out. 

I cannot thank all the people who encouraged me along the way of this recovery. Thankfully the doctor says it is healing faster than previous injuries and although it is still sore, I am getting my stamina back. It's amazing to see how quickly you can lose your endurance when you're not doing something daily!

At any rate I hope this blog post has explained a little bit about my plan. This may not be right for you. If you want more information about Anytime Fitness and/or personal training let me know! I'd be glad to help hook you up. 

Until then, make healthy choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been awhile....a good long while

It has been a good long while since I have felt anything but self-hate and negativity toward myself. I tried not to show it on the outside, ...