Friday, June 7, 2013

The Only Valid Excuse

Time for a blog post that is real. To the heart of the issue. Excuses. THERE ARE NONE. Sorry. If you're looking for a shoulder to cry on, this one isn't it.

I fell into this line of thinking many times over. That is why I've never succeeded in my goals. The excuses I fell into were (in no particular order):

  1. I'm not worth it.
  2. I have too much to lose.
  3. I will qualify for gastric bypass surgery.
  4. I can't do anything but the stationary bike.
  5. I won't be able to do this on my own.
  6. The time isn't right.
  7. It's too late to go workout.
  8. It's faster to go eat fast food.

In order to reach my goals and strive toward success with this battle, I really had to learn many things.

  1. I am worth it. 
  2. I do not have too much to lose. Other people have done it. Why can't I?
  3. I didn't qualify for gastric bypass surgery. I know, I was 300 pounds overweight, but I didn't qualify. Crazy, I know. Now, I'm 240 pounds overweight. I still don't qualify. And, even if I did, I don't want the surgery. I have to learn why I did what I did to my body, so I can not make those choices again.
  4. I can do all kinds of things - elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, free weights, medicine balls, ropes, and I'm sure there's more that Danny hasn't introduced tortured me with yet. Bring it on!
  5. I can do this. I'm the only one that can do this. No one can make the decision for me. I had to finally say, "Enough is enough."
  6. The time is NOW. Period. It's not tomorrow or Monday....tomorrow or Monday never comes. Trust me. Up until recently, I've been waiting for tomorrow or Monday for about 15 years. 
  7. The gym is open 24 hours. It's never too late to go workout. Or too early for that matter. I'm actually growing accustomed to seeing the outside world at 5:00 in the morning. I don't love it still, but it's growing on me.
  8. Yes, it is faster. In the short term. But, it's not faster when you walk slower, or not at all. When your clothes are too tight. When you can't buckle your seatbelt. When you can't go hang out with friends because you don't fit in the seats at the movie theaters or concert arenas. When you pass up an awesome trip with awesome friends because you can't afford to buy two plane tickets so you have plenty of room. When you are in pain all the time. When you are struggling with an illness that just will not go away.
The bottom line is this (and yes, I stole these quotes from somewhere online):

"It's not who you think you are that holds you back. It's who you think you are not."
 I had to learn (even though it is a basic principle) that I am worth this journey. I have a lot to offer this world, and I intend to take it by storm. Bring on the challenges. It's through those challenges that I am developing who I am. I am a woman who deserves to be loved for who she is and not just what I can give to other people. I am a person who has real feelings and deserves to live life to the fullest. That's why we are here.

I'll leave you with one last quote - this one really jumped at me. I scrawled it in huge letters on my notepad that sits on my desk:

"Put aside all excuses and remember this: YOU ARE CAPABLE."  - Zig Ziglar

1 comment:

  1. Zig Ziglar. OMG, I remember him from my real estate selling days. Zig was a huge sales motivational guru.

    ReplyDelete

It's been awhile....a good long while

It has been a good long while since I have felt anything but self-hate and negativity toward myself. I tried not to show it on the outside, ...